Bachelor of Science in Web Design and Development
In Harrington College of Design’s Bachelor of Science in Web Design and Development program, students can develop the critical-thinking and problem-solving abilities needed to design beautiful and useful technologies for an ever-changing a digital society.
Harrington’s holistic “Doing to Learn” approach can help students acquire a complete perspective. Topics in our web design courses move from color theory, graphic design, typography, audio, video, and advanced interactivity to advanced programming, electronics, database management, project administration, and user experience design.
Harrington's BS in Web Design and Development cultivates curious minds to imagine and implement creative solutions to improve the human experience of using the internet. It combines liberal arts and computer science to provide a lasting foundation for learning and synthesizing emerging technology. You can learn to:
- Problem Solving + Technology: Apply web standards and emerging technologies to solve complex problems.
- Critical + Creative Thinking: Use critical-thinking skills to facilitate leadership and innovation in designing for the web.
- Research + User Focus: Research effectively to create, evaluate and advocate solutions grounded in user-centered design principles.
- Teamwork + Presentation: Work collaboratively to communicate effectively in leadership and supporting roles across web disciplines.
- Ethics + Professional Practice: Apply ethical professional business practices, communication, and marketing skills to create work relevant in web design & development.
- Global + Cultural Outlook: Respond to challenges based on exposure to economic, technological, environmental, and social-cultural issues.
Courses in Harrington's BS in Web Design and Development provide a unique and innovative education in the tools and principles of design for interactive communication. Students move from the fundamentals to gaining practical experience with the life cycle of typical web design and development projects to creating complex, dynamic websites.
- In User Experience Design, students can apply the tools and techniques of information architecture for observing audience behavior, analyzing usability problems and creating experiences that demonstrate best practices of user-centered design.
- In Advanced Interactive Mobile Application, students could design and develop a variety of iPhone or iPad apps, allowing them to synthesize their knowledge, build entrepreneurial skills, and understand product development challenges unique to the app development ecosystem.
- In Online Advertising and Marketing, students can collaborate in an environment that simulates a modern interactive marketing agency to create innovative solutions to advertising challenges posed by a real-world project brief, from strategic concept through creative execution.
Other requirements in this program include*:
- Web Design Fundamentals
- Web Design and Development
- Programming Methods
- Content Management, Design & Strategy
- User Experience Design
- App Design and Development
- The Web Production Process
- Introduction to Database
- Advanced Web Design and Development
- Object Oriented Programming
- Designing for Server-Side Technology
- Advanced Interactive Mobile Applications
- Developing with Web Services
- Online Advertising and Marketing
- Project Management for the Web
* Course curriculum is subject to change.
For accreditation information for this and other Harrington College of Design programs, please click here.
To request additional information about this program or how to apply for admission, please fill out the short form at the bottom of this page, and an admissions representative will contact you shortly.
If you already know that this program is for you and would like to apply online now.
Gainful Employment and Other Student Disclosures
Below you can find placement rates and other information tailored to your chosen campus and program. Certain disclosures are published on this website to assist students in understanding the facts about their programs.
Program Disclosure Information for:
-- Select Campus above --
Select a campus for rate information.
- Graduation Rate
Select a campus for rate information.