How to Complete the FAFSA Online

March 19, 2013 General 0 Comments

If you plan on attending school during the 2013-14 academic year, you can complete the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online any time after January 1, 2013 – and the sooner, the better! The FAFSA is required if you would like to apply for federal and state grants, loans, scholarships and other types of assistance. Find the FAFSA here.

In order to complete the FAFSA, you will need to have the following information available for yourself (the student), your parents and/or your spouse (if you are married).

  • Social Security numbers
  • Birthdates
  • Student’s alien registration/permanent resident card (if the student is not a U.S. citizen)
  • 2012 income statements (W-2s, 1099s, etc.) – information to help estimate 2012 earnings
  • Completed 2012 federal income tax return (IRS Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) and earnings statements for the student and parents or spouse (if applicable)
  • If you do not have your 2012 tax return completed when filing your FAFSA, you may use estimates based on your 2011 tax return though you will need to update your FAFSA at a later time
  • If your income changed significantly since 2011 and you have not completed your taxes yet, make your best estimate of your 2012 income
  • If you are not required to file a federal tax return, please bring any income records for 2012
  • Information on any untaxed income (i.e., child support, payments to tax-deferred accounts, workers compensation, disability, etc.)
  • Checking and savings account balances
  • Other asset information including net worth of secondary homes or rental/investment properties, stocks, bonds, and other investments
  • A list of colleges you are applying to – up to 10 can be listed

If you’d like assistance completing the FAFSA, the Office of City Clerk Susanna A. Mendoz is offering one-on-one assistance in partnership with Ladder Up every Tuesday from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. through April 9 at Chicago City Hall, Room 107.

Financial aid is available for those who qualify.


What do you think?