The Harrington College of Design Library contains extensive print and digital collections, offering a valuable resource for student and faculty research needs. Centrally located on the 3rd floor for convenient access to studios, lecture halls and faculty offices, the library is open and staffed more than 60 hours per week, including evenings and Saturdays.
Harrington’s librarian is part of the faculty and has considerable subject expertise. Library offerings include:
- More than 27,000 printed books and more than 16,000 electronic books
- Special collections containing rare and valuable books on design
- 125 journal and newspaper titles (current and back issues)
- Hundreds of electronic journals and newspapers
- More than 35,000 digital images
- More than 40 research databases covering all disciplines, including design, many of which are available remotely
- Participation in I-Share interlibrary loan system providing access to collections at 75 other Illinois college and research libraries
- 500 videos, DVDs and CDs
- Group and individual research instruction and assistance
- Computer workstations with black & white printing
- Black & white copiers (note that the copyright law of the United States governs the making of photocopies and other reproductions of copyrighted materials. Persons using library photocopiers are liable for any infringements.)
- Quiet study areas
- Cutting boards and mats, scissors, hole punch, tape, staplers and other office equipment.
The library catalog and electronic resources are accessible through the Library Tab on the Student Portal. Some resources are only accessible by on-campus users, while other resources can be accessed anywhere via the Internet.
In addition to Harrington’s on-campus library resources, the college provides an Internet-accessible information center with virtual collections selected to support students in their programs of study and to enhance their information literacy skills.
This virtual library provides access to full-text journals, books, reference materials through a comprehensive search service called the Cybrary, as well as access to relevant Web links and instructional guides for using its electronic resources. All Harrington students have access to the CEC Library and Cybrary both on campus and off through a password-protected Internet connection.
Harrington’s Library participates in the I-Share resource-sharing cooperative, which allows current Harrington students and faculty to use 75 college and university libraries in Illinois. A valid Harrington ID card allows onsite access and borrowing privileges, as well as remote requesting and delivery of books via the I-Share online catalog. Through IShare, a Harrington ID card provides access to more than 32 million items.